Welcome to TAMK!

On this page we have collected all the essential material that you will need when starting your bachelor's or master's degree at TAMK.

The results of autumn's national joint application, transfer application and separate application via Open UAS Path will be published in the My Studyinfo service.

You can see your own situation by logging in to My Studyinfo service. Please note that this service requires a Finnish online bank identification, mobile certificate or an identity card provided by Finnish police provided with a chip and a reader. If you are admitted, you will be informed of it by email to the address you gave on the application form (remember to see the junk email too as the email may by mistake be directed there).

A letter stating the results will also be sent by post or email to every applicant at the end of November. An email with information on beginning of studies will be sent to those admitted in transfer application or in separate application via Open UAS Path.

All admitted students

Take care of these things before your studies begin:

1. Confirm the offered study place

National joint application and TAMK Direct Application

Admitted applicants must confirm their study place by 14 July 2017 at 15.00 Finnish time at the latest or by the date given in the admission letter by logging in to My Studyinfo service or by TAMK's e-form (the link is sent by email to the admitted applicants).

If we do not receive your confirmation by the due date, you will lose your study place at TAMK.

Confirmation of the study place is binding and cannot be altered or cancelled.

Applicants who have applied to many degree programmes in joint application system or separete applications should wait until all admission results have been published before confirming a study place. This is because only one study place per semester can be accepted from the higher education degree programmes in the Finnish joint application system or from separate applications. Once all results have been published, the applicant may decide which offered study place he/she wants to accept, and then confirm the study place only from this UAS or university.

Applicants who are accepted to the degree programme which they have placed highest in the order of preference on the application form, cannot anymore at this point choose a study place from lower preference options.

If you are admitted from the reserve places, you have two weeks to confirm your study place. Please check your email regularly. The final day of admittance from the reserve places is 14 August 2017.

Transfer Application and Open Path Application

Applicants admitted in transfer application must confirm their study place by 31 July 2017 at 15.00 at the latest by logging in to My Studyinfo service or by TAMK's e-form (the link is sent by email to the admitted).

Applicant admitted in separate application via Open Path Application must confirm their study place by 31 July 2017 at 15.00 at the latest My Studyinfo service or by TAMK's e-form (the link is sent by email to the admitted).

2. Register as present or absent

When accepting the study place, you have to also register as present or absent to your studies at TAMK by logging in to My Studyinfo service or by the TAMK's own electronic form (the link is sent by e-mail to the admitted).

According to the Polytechnics Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:

1) service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);

2) maternity, paternity or parental leave;

3) the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.

If you register as absent, you must prove the legal grounds for your absence. Tampere University of Applied Sciences requires you to present specific documents to the Admissions Office by

  • National joint application: 14 July 2017 at 15.00 Finnish time at the latest or or within 14 days after the student selection result have been published
  • Separate application via Open Path Application: 31 July 2017 at 15.00 at the latest.

If you register as absent in your first academic year, but fail to deliver sufficient clarification regarding the grounds for your absence within the deadline specified by the Tampere University of Applied Sciences, you will lose your right to study.

Note! A student admitted via transfer application cannot register as absent.

3. Deliver copies or final certificates

National joint application and TAMK Direct Application

All admitted students must deliver copies of the final certificates (school and possible employment certificates) used when applying to TAMK Admissions Office by 14 July 2017 at 15.00 Finnish time at the latest or within 14 days after the student selection result have been published. The original certificates will be checked at the beginning of the studies.

Student admission is conditional until TAMK has checked the admitted students' school and employment certificates at the beginning of the studies. Certificate delivery instructions are given in the admission email. TAMK may withdraw the admission if you do not deliver the certificates by the set date or if you have given false information.

Transfer Application and Open Path Application

All students admitted in transfer application or via Open Path Application must submit an up-to-date transcript of records by 10 August 2017 at 15.00 at the latest to TAMK Admissions Office.

By email:

Or by post:
Tampere University of Applied Sciences / Admissions Office
Kuntokatu 3

4. Read degree-specific instructions

Scroll down and find the degree-specific instructions. There you can find e.g. the beginning date of your studies as well as the programme of the orientation days.

5. Get oriented to campus services
Make yourself familiar with the services for students. Orientation to studies (Study Guide).
6. Join the Students' Union Tamko and get your student card
All students of TAMK can join Tamko, Students' Union of Tampere University of Applied Sciences. Members of the Students' Union receive a national student card, which entitles for all national and local student benefits, Kela meal subsidy in student restaurants as well as benefits in Tamko's events and services.

Tutoring in TAMK is organised by Tamko - The Students' Union trains all tutors in TAMK.

Students' Union Tamko offers TAMK students a wide variety of services and activities - from sports to festivity. The most important tasks of Tamko are representing students within the administration of TAMK, and promoting the educational and social interests of students. Tamko supports dozens of different student clubs and associations at TAMK. One of the most active is the Club International Tampere (CLINT), which organizes a number of activities for foreign and internationally-minded Finnish students. For a very reasonable charge, Tamko and CLINT also rent out Survival Kits, which contain basic items such as kitchen utensils and bed linen.

See Tamko's Student's Guide

Apply for membership online!

Welcome aboard to a bunch of more than 6500 members!

Here is some useful information for new degree students:


TAMK has four campuses in the city of Tampere. See the map of the Main Campus.

Online Study Guide

In TAMK's ECTS Study Guide, you can find details of all the student services and benefits available to TAMK students, as well as information about curricula and practical matters related to studying at TAMK.

Financing your studies and student benefits, accommodation, and wellbeing

Student financial aid and student benefits

Finnish students and international students permanently living (A visa status) in Finland: See Study Guide.

International students coming from abroad: Please scroll down and find more information about financing your studies under the title "International students".


Every TAMK student is responsible for finding accommodation in Tampere independently. TAMK provides advice on how to apply for student housing in Tampere, but we do not have any dormitories nor can we reserve student accommodation for you. More information in the Study Guide.

Student health care

All TAMK students are entitled to use student health care services. More information in the Study Guide. Using specialist medical services can be extremely expensive in Finland. International students coming from outside European Union (EU), European Trade Area (ETA) or Switzerland must obtain a personal health insurance in order to get a Student Residence Permit. More information on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service. International students coming from European Union (EU) or European Trade Area (ETA) countries or Switzerland must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their home country prior to entering Finland.

Sports services

As a TAMK student, you will have access to the sports facilities and services of three universities in Tampere - for the price of one very reasonable membership fee. More information on the website of Unipoli Sport.

International students

If you are coming from outside of Finland, you need to do take care of the following things:

Financing your studies

About financing your studies | Student financial aid for international students | Working while studying

About financing your studies

International students must have financing in place to cover their living costs and study-related expenses in Finland.

Students coming from outside European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland starting their studies in programmes taught in English in autumn 2017 have to pay tuition fees. These students are also eligible to apply for TAMK scholarships.

Students who are citizens of Finland, European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland don't pay tuition fees. These students are not eligible to apply for TAMK scholarships.

There will be some costs for study materials. You may have to buy some books, although quite a lot of them may be borrowed from the TAMK libraries.

All students pay for their own accommodation, transport, food, etc. Living in Finland is quite costly. The average cost of living is estimated to be about 700-900€/month/person to cover the basic expenditures: rent, transport, food, materials, etc. If you need to apply for a Student Residence Permit, the Immigration authorities will ask you to prove that that you have funds of at least 560€/ study month, i.e. 6720€/year to cover your costs for the first year in Finland.

Student financial aid for international students

International students are usually not entitled to the Finnish social benefits. If you come to Finland solely for the purpose of studying, you cannot get student financial aid from the Finnish state. However, if you have worked in Finland prior to your studies, you marry in Finland, or you are a citizen of European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland and you work in Finland, your status may change. Further information can be found on the website of the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela).

Working while studying

Working part-time while studying might be an option to finance your studies. Studying at TAMK does not exclude the possibility of taking a part-time job in the evenings, over the weekends and during holidays.

It may be difficult to find employment in Finland, especially if you do not speak Finnish. Because of this, you should not rely on finding a job to support your studies financially, but instead consider other options, such as scholarships. Applying for a scholarship should be done before coming to Finland.

Visa and residence permit

If you are an international student coming to study in Finland, you may need a Visa or a Student Residence Permit. Your status in Finland, nationality and the duration of your studies determine how, when and what kind of permit you have to apply for, and how and when you should make the application.

Entrance exams in Finland

Foreign applicants coming to Finland for an entrance exam may have to obtain a Tourist Visa from the Finnish Embassy in or closest to their home country prior to arriving in Finland. If there is no Finnish Embassy in the country concerned, applicants should contact the closest Finnish Embassy, which may be in a neighbouring country. More information can be found from the Finnish Embassies abroad.

Note that an invitation to an entrance exam does not guarantee that you will get a Tourist Visa. The Embassy will take all matters in your application into consideration and make the decision independently.

Admitted students

After receiving a letter of acceptance:

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries: You need to obtain a Student Residence Permit from the Finnish Embassy in your home country (or nearest to your home country, or in the country of your legal residence) prior to arriving in Finland. Please contact the closest Finnish Embassy for more details. More information is also available at the Finnish Immigration Service. To speed up the process, use the online application available to all applicants. Please note that the application process may take several months. Apply as early as possible! Note also that admission to a Finnish university does not guarantee that you will get a Student Residence Permit. The Embassy will take all matters in your application into consideration and make the decision independently.

Note: all foreign students need a Finnish Social Security Number. You can apply for it whilst applying for the Residence Permit from the Finnish Embassy. Alternatively, can apply for it after arriving in Finland, but getting it at the same time with the permit speeds many bureauchratic prosesses.

Citizens of EU/EEA countries: You don't need to apply for a Student Residence Permit before coming to Finland. Instead, you have to register at the Finnish Immigration Service Point within three months of your arrival in Finland. To register, you will need the following documents: a valid passport or national ID-card, one photo, a study certificate from TAMK, and proof of sufficient funds for financing your stay in Finland (the average cost of living is 700-900 euros/month). The registration fee is 50€. A passport is not needed for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens, but you must be able to prove your identity with an official identity card if asked by the officials. However, it is highly recommended to have your passport with you when arriving in Finland, as it is the most common and recognised proof of identity. Students will also need a passport if they wish to travel from Finland to Russia or the Baltic states.

Citizens of the Nordic countries do not need a Student Residence Permit to study in Finland.

Finnish Immigration Service: Guidelines for Degree Students (Visa and Residence Permits)

Health insurance

Students from EU/EEA countries or Switzerland must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their home country prior to coming to Finland. Please note that EHIC does not cover all medical treatments in Finland. Health care may be very expensive: a hospital bill can easily be several hundreds or thousands of euros. Therefore, TAMK strongly recommends that EU/EEA and Swiss citizens should obtain a personal health insurance even if it not required by law.

Students from non-EU/EEA countries or Switzerland must have insurance cover when applying for a Residence Permit as without it a permit cannot be granted. A Residence Permit cannot be issued for a period exceeding the period of the insurance cover. Students must attach details of their comprehensive health insurance cover to their application when applying for a Residence Permit. Comprehensive insurance cover means insurance which includes the types of treatment and costs that are covered by municipal health care services and the health insurance system. It is a precondition for obtaining a residence permit that the student has valid health insurance cover with a reliable and solvent company or institution.

  • For studies of less than two years in duration, a student must have private insurance which primarily covers the costs of medical treatment up to 100,000 euros
  • When the duration of the studies is two years or more, a student will usually have a home municipality in Finland and is therefore entitled to municipal health care services. In such cases, it is sufficient for the insurance to primarily cover the cost of medicines, up to 30,000 euros. In practice the cover extends to doctors' fees and costs of examination and treatment.

More information is available from the Finnish Immigration Service.

TAMK provides student health care to all its students in the Student Health Care Centre during office hours on Monday-Friday. However, if you need to consult a doctor in the evening or during a weekend, you need to use public or private hospitals. Usually the patient needs to pay the costs first from his/her own pocket, and then claim the costs from his/her insurance company.


Arranging accommodation | Student housing companies | Other rental companies | Private sector accommodation

Arranging accommodation

Please note that you are required to arrange your accommodation by yourself. TAMK does not have any student dormitories.

Apply for accommodation as early as possible! There usually is a shortage of student accommodation in Tampere in the autumn. There are thousands of new students starting their studies at the same time. If you don't apply early, you may not find a room in time to start your studies at TAMK.

As soon as you receive a written confirmation that you have been offered a study place at TAMK, you should start arranging your accommodation in Tampere.

Student housing companies

Student housing is available from e.g:

Each of the above is an independent housing company. You may apply for a room from one or more companies. Each company has an online application form. Usually housing companies cannot offer studios for the new students. When filling in an application form, it is advisable to apply for "any room" to maximise your chances of finding a roomAfter you have filled in the application form, the company in question will contact you with further instructions.

If you apply for a room from many housing companies, remember to cancel your other applications after you have received a room from one company - otherwise you may end up having to pay rent for many companies!

Each housing company has their own rules and standards for student housing. However, the following information applies to student rooms in general:

  • Students may have to share their flat, sometimes even their room, with another student or students. The kitchen, bathroom and toilet are usually shared.
  • The standard of student housing is usually modest.
  • The rent in a shared apartment is about 300€/month/person. The rent includes electricity, hot water, and the use of sauna and laundry facilities.
  • The rooms assigned to new foreign students are usually furnished with a bed, a mattress, a table and a chair. Most flats have an Internet connection, and the usage fee is often included in the rent.

If you get an unfurnished room, TAMK's Social Councellor can help you acquire basic furniture after you arrive in Tampere.

Other rental companies

Private sector accommodation

In the Tampere region, apartment rents in the private sector are typically twice as high as in the student housing companies. The apartments are not usually furnished and the rent does not include electricity, water costs or the use of common laundry or sauna facilities.

You can reach Tampere in several ways. Be also ready to face the Finnish climate!

Arriving in Finland and Tampere

You can reach Tampere in several ways:

1) Fly to Tampere

The easiest way to arrive to Tampere is by air: Tampere-Pirkkala airport is located 15 km from the city centre. Many international airlines fly directly to Tampere.

From Tampere-Pirkkala airport to Tampere city centre:

A taxi to the city centre or student flats costs approx. 30 €. If no taxis are available at the airport, order one from +358 100 4131. Buses (3,00 €) from the airport (= lentoasema in Finnish) to the city centre run only once an hour.

2) Fly to Helsinki and take an Express Bus (or a train) to Tampere  

Flights to Tampere are often expensive, so if you decide to fly to Helsinki, the easiest way to get to Tampere is to take an Express Bus directly from the airport to Tampere Bus Station.

Express buses from Helsinki-Vantaa airport depart from Bay 13 (in front of Terminal 2) and Bays 3/5 (in front of Terminal 1) about once an hour. It takes 2-3 hours to reach Tampere. The bus arrives at the Tampere Bus Station in Tampere city centre. You may buy the ticket, 27 €, from the driver. More information and timetables

It is also possible to take a train from Helsinki Airport to Tampere, but you always have to change the train. More information and timetables

3) Take a train or an Express Bus to Tampere

If you are in Helsinki City Centre, you can take a train or a long distance bus to Tampere. Both cost about 30 € one way.

Trains depart every hour. It takes about 2 hours to reach Tampere. Trains arrive at the railway station (rautatieasema in Finnish) in Tampere city centre.

Long-distance buses depart every hour, too. It takes about 2 - 3 hours to reach Tampere. Busses arrive at the bus station (linja-autoasema) in Tampere city centre.

Take a bus to TAMK's campuses

On the Campuses pages you can find instructions, how to reach different campuses.


Finland has four seasons: summer (June-July), autumn (August-October), winter (November-March) and spring (April-May) - altought the months nowadays vary a lot!

Summer can be anything from +10 C to +30 C! In August, temperature is still +15-20 C. In September, it mainly rains, with average temperature of +10 C. The darkest time of the year is October-November, before the snow usually falls in December. During the coldest months in January-February, temperatures can reach even -30 C but -10 C is more common. Snow usually melts in Mach or April, giving way to a short spring in May.

In Finland, you have to be ready for any kind of weather every day: it may be sunny in the morning and rainy in the afternoon. In the winter you need a warm winter jacket, winter boots, a hat, gloves and a scarf. If you don't have winter clothes or winter shoes, TAMK's Social Councellor can help you acquire them in Tampere.

Degree-specific instructions

Greetings from Social Counsellor

"Hello international students! Coming to Finland brings many challenges into your life. We have many ways to help you." Mirja Onduso is a social counsellor dedicated to assist students from abroad with any and all issues while at TAMK.

Watch the video

Social Counsellor Mirja Onduso

Facebook group

Join the Facebook group for international degree students of TAMK.

Join the group


If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to contact TAMK:

  • Admissions: Admissions Office, admissions(at)tamk.fi
  • Academic matters (registration, transfer credits, studies, etc.): Study Secretaries, opintotoimisto(at)tamk.fi
  • Social matters (permit, housing, etc.): Social Counsellor, social.counsellor(at)tamk.fi